Last Updated on
The area just under the eyes is prone to a host of skin problems. The list includes several nagging issues such as small blemishes, bags, and dark circles that are very difficult to cover. While there are several medical treatments that can get rid of these imperfections, they are typically too strong, quite invasive, and invariably come with a number of adverse side effects that outweigh their benefits. The safer and cheaper approach is to take the makeup route, and more specifically, concealers. In this article, we will outline what these products can offer and we will help you pick the best under eye concealer in 2019.
The factors that you should keep in mind when looking for the best under eye concealer
Like it is the case with any makeup or skincare product, you need to be familiar with the basic characteristics of concealers before committing to any particular product. Scroll down to learn more about the essential factors that you should consider when you are in the market for an under eye concealer.
Type of skin
The first thing that you should be aware of is the type of your own skin. It is essential to remember that the products that are designed for people with oily skin are significantly different than those destined for dry and flaky skin. Neglecting this step can lead you to pick the wrong product which in turn could have some serious and long-lasting effects on your skin.
This is a critical factor that plays a huge role in determining the overall quality of the concealer. The right texture should be creamy or liquid-based due to the fact that thicker products tend to enhance the fine lines around the eyes.
Concealers are generally priced below the $50 mark. In fact, you can get a good one below $10. With that being said, there are several major brands that have made a habit out of inflating their prices without offering anything noteworthy in term of intrinsic value. These concealers should be avoided at all cost since they are merely the product of clever marketing.
Like any makeup product that is applied to the face, a good concealer needs to be consistent enough to remain properly blended into the skin without requiring multiple reapplications. Consistent concealers are also more cost-effective than the ones that tend to get cakey after a couple of hours.
Ease of application and removal
This factor is pretty much a no-brainer. Concealers should be practical and convenient in their use. To achieve this, the application and removal process should be straightforward and without any overly complicated instructions. Before buying anything, check the manufacturer description to make sure that this is the case.
The available shades
A high-quality concealer must seamlessly blend with the rest of your skin so that the overall texture appears subtle and natural. People with extremely dark or light skin need to be particularly careful when picking a concealer as not all brands offer enough shade options to accommodate them.
The quality of the coverage is what ultimately determines the concealer’s ability to eradicate wrinkles and dark circles. The coverage of the concealer should be precise, high, and buildable. Concealer with low coverage should be avoided since they are ill-suited for this use and are mostly destined to people with near-flawless skins. On the other hand, a wider coverage would allow you to cover every inch of the targeted area.
The importance of this factor will vary depending on where you stand with regard to the issue of animal rights. Some companies still use animals to test their products. If you want to avoid dealing with these brands, stick to products that are certified 100% cruelty-free.
The weight of the concealer
As it is the case with any makeup product, a decent concealer should have a light composition. This will allow it to blend easily into the skin and will ensure that you won’t experience any discomfort when you are wearing it for a whole day.
Frequently asked question
1 – What causes the dark circles and blemishes under the eyes?
The answer to this question is multi-faceted since there are multiple potential causes. Generally speaking, some of the most common culprits include poor nutrition, bad sleeping habits, genetic skin irregularities, excessive consumption of alcohol, and natural aging.
2 – Is using under eye concealers a good long-term solution for skin imperfections?
A concealer provides a quick fix that is mostly aesthetic in nature. Tackling the root of the problem requires a little bit more effort and time. If you don’t want to opt for medical treatment, you can start by improving some of the aspects that are under your control, namely a good diet and healthy sleep habits.
3 – Should the concealer be lighter or darker than the foundation?
This can be quite tricky at times, but the preferred approach is opting for a shade that is slightly lighter than the foundation. The rationale behind this is to emphasize the area around the eyes and brighten it in contrast with the rest of the skin.
4 – Is liquid concealer better than cream?
The answer to this question varies depending on the type of your skin. While both are considered superior options when compared to thick matte concealers, each one is better suited for different types of skin. Liquid concealers are perfect for oily skin whereas cream concealers are ideal for dry skin.
Top 5 best under eye concealer in 2020
1 – Maybelline New York Facestudio Master Conceal Makeup
- Maybelline's full-coverage, high-resistance concealer camouflages imperfections and dark...
- Whether you're hiding spots, looking for the best concealer for dark circles, or...
- With Maybelline Facestudio Master Conceal from Maybelline New York you can achieve full...
- Comparable to concealers like L.A. Girl, Style Edit, Laimeng, Bare Minerals and Covergirl....
This concealer from Maybelline is one of the best options on the market. It provides full coverage, high-resistance, and is an effective way to reduce the visibility of every single blemish or dark circle that might appear on the surface of the skin. This effectiveness of this product is mostly owed to a strong and unique formula that is ultra-concentrated and exclusively made up of organic ingredients.
In order to get impressive results with this product, it is recommended that you use a precision tip to produce a small amount of the concealer before applying it to the area just under your eyes using your fingertips. After that, make sure to blend it into the surface of your skin by gently patting and spreading the concealer until you get good coverage.
Besides its ability to conceal every type of imperfection in a smooth and subtle manner, another major selling point of this product is just how affordable it is. For a very low asking price, you are getting everything that you would like to see in a great concealer; good coverage, a creamy texture that blends easily, and a remarkable ability to eradicate a host of blemishes from the surface of your skin.
- The price is extremely low considering the effectiveness of the formula
- This concealer has a creamy texture that blends easily into the skin
- It is highly effective when it comes to eliminating skin imperfections
- The coverage that it offers is very decent
- The concealer is relatively easy to apply and remove
- It is consistent and long-lasting
- It does not come with enough shade options for very dark or light skin complexions
- This product is not cruelty-free
2 – TARTE TARTE CC Colored clay undereye corrector
This is one of the most effective products when it comes to combating dark circles under the eyes. Like all high-quality concealers, it is characterized by a light texture that is as long-lasting as it is consistent and refreshing. The formula that was used to concoct this product is mostly comprised of organic ingredients that are guaranteed not to cause any rashes or strong allergic reactions.
The look that this concealer gives you is very natural-looking and does not stand out too much. As for the coverage, it is remarkably decent for such an affordable product. The consistency is rather excellent and the overall lightweight texture of the concealer makes it wearing extremely convenient and enjoyable.
Another quality that the TARTE CC boasts is just how easy it is to apply. The creamy composition of the concealer makes it very easy to blend and spread across the area just under your eyes. Whether you are dealing with large dark circles or small blemishes, you can expect to eradicate every single imperfection upon the first application of this product. It is also worth noting that some of the benefits that it provides are long-lasting and extend far beyond the period of use.
- It blends easily and evens out all imperfections
- It boasts a light texture and it remains consistent throughout the day
- The coverage is relatively high for the price point
- The concealer is highly effective when it comes to covering acne
- The glow that it adds does not look artificial
- The price to quality ratio is high
- This concealer is not ideal for people who have a very light skin complexion
- The subtle orange tint might not be to everybody’s taste
3 – bareMinerals Bareskin Complete Coverage Serum Light Concealer
- A silky-smooth, complete coverage, concealer and serum formula
- It instantly reduces the appearance of dark circles, discoloration, and other...
- It provides younger looking skin
The third option in this list has a lot of qualities that make it stand out in the highly competitive market of skincare products. It has a silky-smooth texture that goes well with any skin tone and it is very potent in dealing with a wide array of imperfections that range from dark circles to discoloration. The effects of this concealer can be noticed a mere minute after the initial application as every single blemish will be eliminated and the overall tone of the face will be evened out in a quick and comprehensive manner.
On top of its high efficacy when tackling skin imperfections, some of the other noteworthy characteristics of this concealer include its remarkable resiliency and capacity to last for extended periods of time without losing any of its texture. It is also adept at handling exposure to the elements of the outdoors, including water. Furthermore, this concealer is relatively light and its coverage is decent, making the application process extremely easy and effective. In fact, you only need a drop of this product in order to cover all the area that is situated under your eyes.
- Its organic composition causes no irritation or allergic reaction
- The coverage that it provides is impressive
- The low weight of the concealer makes it easy to wear
- Only a small drop of the product is required to get great results
- It is highly resistant and long-lasting
- Its application process is very simple
- It is not a good option for people with a very light skin tone
- The concealer is mainly effective when applied to dry skin
4 – Algenist, REVEAL – Color Correcting Eye Serum Concealer
- Algenist products are suitable for all skin types, dermatologist tested, non-comedogenic,...
- Eye serum concealer with lightweight coverage
- Conceals imperfections and discoloration around the eyes
- Leaves skin feeling smooth, soft and even
If you are looking for a small, long-lasting, and buildable concealer, then this option is perfectly tailored to your needs. It was specifically formulated to even out the area around the eyes and cover all the dark circles and blemishes with a radiant and natural-looking glow. Unlike the vast majority of products on the market, the formula of this concealer is quite unique in the space since it targets specific color concerns and corrects imperfections in a concise manner. This is owed to the mixture of Alguronic acid and Microalgae Oil, a potent concoction that has proven to be extremely effective when dealing with fine lines and wrinkles.
The concealer is available in 3 shades that can accommodate three different skin tones; light, medium, and tan. The coverage that the Algenist provides is not only excellent, but it is also exceptionally light which makes wearing it extremely practical and enjoyable. But perhaps the most significant aspect of this concealer is its long-term positive effects on the surface of the skin. According to clinical studies, the majority of users have reported a noticeable and long-lasting improvement in their skin’s texture and health for up to 10 days after the initial application of the product.
- The texture of the concealer is very smooth
- The concealer can be applied and removed with relative ease
- Some of its positive health effects can last for up to 10 days after initial us
- It is formulated using healthy and organic ingredients
- It effectively eradicates all sorts of blemishes around the eyes
- The coverage is good and buildable
- There are not enough shades to accommodate skin tones that are too light or too dark
- The price is relatively high relative to the size of the concealer
5 – Mary Kay Under Eye Corrector
- Correct, conceal and perfect. It’s your lasting coverage cover-up.
Mary Kay is one of the most established names in the industry and their products have long been praised for their effectiveness and overall potency. This concealer is quite versatile and its scope of use includes eliminating wrinkles and other skin imperfections as well as complementing other skincare products such as foundation and CC cream sunscreen. If you happen to suffer from bags under the eyes or any other type of blemishes, we can safely state that the Mary Kay Eye corrector will be able to fix these issues in a quick manner.
The coverage that this concealer provides is decent enough to accommodate all the area around your eyes. Furthermore, the layer remains consistent throughout the day so you won’t have to reapply the Corrector multiple times in a single day. Like all the products that we reviewed in our guide, the radiant glow the concealer gives your skin looks entirely natural, a quality that is appreciated by anyone that values subtle and non-artificial makeup. While the Mary Kay under Eye Corrector is the most recent offering from the company, the reviews so far have been positive, to say the least.
- The consistency and lightweight of this concealer makes it highly effective
- It can reduce the visibility of most skin imperfections around the eyes
- The texture does not look artificial
- It does not require multiple reapplications during the day
- The coverage that it offers is tremendous
- Its formula incorporates a wide range of potent ingredients
- This product is only available in one color that adjusts to individual skin tone
- It is relatively expensive
Getting an under eye concealer is the best way to get rid of the dark circles and blemishes that plague the surface of your skin. Not only is it the most effective way to eliminate every little imperfection from that sensitive part of the face, but it is also the cheapest and safest option. Take the time to read each review carefully before making a decision on which product is best suited for you.
Last update on 2020-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API