Last Updated on
Best foundation for oily skin – Top Reviews and Buying Guide
Oily skin requires a specific type of skin products that are designed to accommodate it. Foundations, in particular, can be extremely tricky if you are not familiar with the essential characteristics that you should look for. In this article, we will outline these characteristics and we will review some of the best foundation for oily skin that are available on the market today.
The factors that you should focus on when picking the best foundation for oily skin
Before making a purchase, you need to familiarize yourself with the basic qualities that every foundation should have. Below is a detailed look at the main factors that you should keep in mind when you are looking for the best foundation for oily skin.
Adequate oil control
This is the first factor that you should consider when buying a foundation for oily skin. It needs to be formulated in a way that allows it to regulate the oil on the surface of the skin without causing too much dryness or skin flakiness.
This is a very important factor that tends to be forgotten quite a lot. The weight of the foundation is directly correlated with the user’s comfort and overall effectiveness of the product. A great foundation should be very light so that it would not cause any feeling of discomfort or constraint. Light foundations are also able to penetrate the skin much easier than heavier ones and are generally easy to apply as well.
Foundations are typically priced below the $25 mark. These are relatively simple skincare products and anything priced substantially higher than that can be considered overpriced and not a wise investment. It is essential to note that a lot of established brands tend to inflate their prices based on nothing more than marketing hype, so you need to be careful not to opt for a product that is priced higher than its actual intrinsic value.
Your foundations should come with a minimum of 10 shade options. This will allow it to fit a wide range of skin tones and complexions without standing out too much or appearing too artificial upon application. People with extremely dark or very light skin complexions are particularly impacted by this factor. Before committing to a purchase, they need to make sure that the available shades provide enough color options to accommodate the specificities of their skin.
The application and removal
This factor is highly important if you intend to use the foundation on a frequent basis. A foundation that is easy to apply and remove saves you a lot of time and effort. Furthermore, these products tend to be much more efficient and economic which ends up saving you a lot of money down the line. Make sure to avoid any foundation that requires a complex application method or necessitates multiple steps in order to be fully removed.
If you want to make sure that the foundation will not cause any allergic reactions, rashes, or irritations, you need to get one that is entirely made from organic ingredients. Products that contain added chemicals might be more effective in the short run, but it is essential to keep in mind that the strong additives might lead to some serious skin problems that could potentially be long-lasting.
While the practice of testing skincare product on animals has witnessed a significant decline over the past few years, there are some companies that still conduct this type of tests. If you value animal welfare, you should only go for a foundation that is 100% cruelty-free.
A decent foundation should be formulated to last throughout the day. More importantly, its consistency should never drop below optimal levels until you are ready to wash it off. Subpar formulas will often produce a cakey layer that will continue to break off with each passing hour, which will require you to reapply the foundation multiple times.
The coverage of the foundation needs to boast a number of qualities that are geared toward boosting its effectiveness. A good coverage must range from medium to high, and more importantly, it has to be buildable so that you can add multiple thin layers of the liquid without it looking overly thick or cakey.
Frequently asked questions
1 – Should I use foundation just below the eyes?
Generally speaking, this is not recommended. Foundations are mainly used to add a glow to the face and won’t do much to fix the bags or wrinkles just below the eyes. In fact, using foundation will only add an extra layer that is not needed when you are applying a concealer under your eyes.
2 – Is using foundation necessary for makeup?
Applying foundation is only required if your face needs coverage. If your skin isn’t too oily, dry, or has no blemishes, then using a foundation is not needed. For people with an even skin, using a concealer and BB creams is enough.
3 – It is safe to use foundation on a daily basis?
There is a common misconception stating that daily application of foundation will clog up skin pores and cause long-term damage. In reality, this theory is not grounded in any facts. If anything, wearing a foundation that boasts some anti-aging properties can be extremely beneficial to the overall health of your skin. Furthermore, the foundation can also act as sun protection, making daily use not only safe but highly recommended.
Reviews of the best foundations for oily skin in 2020
1 – Almay Clear Complexion Liquid Makeup
- Almay's breakthrough for breakouts: This lightweight foundation with salicylic acid...
- The soft matte finish foundation disguises blemishes—not the texture of your skin—and...
- We added the maximum strength dose of salicylic acid (a powerful blemish fighter beloved...
- Perfect foundation for acne-prone, oily, and combination skin types. And everyone else who...
This foundation is simply exquisite and it is suitable for everyone in the family. Besides the affordable price, this product offers a lot of benefits for people with oily skin. In fact, the Almay Clear is the perfect option for anyone that suffers from acne or any other type of skin condition that is associated with oily skin. It helps clear blemishes off the face and gives it a radiant glow that lasts the whole day.
While most foundations tend to be hit or miss depending on several factors that vary from person to person, the Almay Clear boasts one of the highest success rates on the market. More than 90% of women have reported a significant improvement in their skin health after applying the foundation, a figure that dwarfs what the competition is capable of delivering.
Another great thing about this foundation is just how convenient and easy it is to apply. Whether you are using your finger, a regular sponge, a brush, or a silicone sponge, the liquid quickly embeds itself to your skin pores in an effective and comprehensive manner. Furthermore, the Almay Clear comes with a matching concealer that adds it to its overall texture and improves its glow.
- The price is great considering the effectiveness of the foundation
- Applying the foundation is quite easy and enjoyable
- The product is suitable for all members of the family
- The foundation is extremely effective when it comes to combating acne
- The Almay Clear boasts an astonishing 91% success rate
- The package includes a matching concealer
- The foundation can be extremely drying if it is worn for over 3 hours
- Some users have experienced a little bit of itching when using this product
2 – Revlon ColorStay Liquid Foundation
- Longwear foundation stays flawless all-day, up to 24 hours
- Formulated with salicylic acid to help control oil and provide a poreless finish
- Medium buildable coverage with a matte finish
- Spf 15
This is another option that is tailored to the specificities of oily skin. This foundation has a lot going for it and its ability to boost the health of your skin cannot be highlighted enough. It was concocted using an effective formula that makes use of the nutritional elements found in salicylic acid, which gives it the ability to regulate and control oil while giving the skin the flawless texture that most people desire.
Another aspect that is worth mentioning is the exquisite matte finish of this foundation. It fits the vast majority of skin tones and complexions and it can remain flawless for an impressive 24 hours. Whether you have dark or light skin, the Revlon ColorStay is guaranteed to enhance your skin without compromising its natural look or breaking down throughout the day.
To get the most out of the Revlon ColorStay Liquid Foundation, there are several modes of application that you can try. Our favorite one consists of an efficient combination of the foundation, the powder, and the moisturizer. The powder is applied first, followed by the moisturizer, and then a layer of foundation is added on top. This is an effective way to eliminate all types of wrinkles and blemishes.
- This foundation is the ideal option for people with dark skin
- It can last for 24 hours without losing any of its texture
- It employs salicylic acid for superior control of skin oil
- It is extremely effective in eliminating blemishes and wrinkles
- No side effects or skin irritations were reported by users
- Good quality to price ratio
- It does not seem to be as effective around the nose area
- The foundation is relatively difficult to remove
3 – Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation Makeup
- MAYBELLINE FIT ME MATTE FOUNDATION: For a natural looking medium coverage liquid...
- A SHADE THAT FITS ME: Maybelline Fit Me liquid foundation provides coverage for a wide...
- MAYBELLINE FIT ME FOR A FLAWLESS FACE: With Matte + Poreless foundation or Dewy+ Smooth...
- MAYBELLINE HAS WHAT YOU NEED to create any look--foundation, bb creams, concealers &...
This matte foundation is perfect for both normal and oily skin. It boasts a natural-looking coverage that makes it a strong contender for the best foundation in this list. It features more than 40 shades that encompass every skin tone and complexion and it is priced very competitively. When used as a full face foundation with buildable coverage, the Maybelline adds a layer of radiant glow to the skin and eliminates wrinkles and excessive oil without any noticeable side effects.
The package is rather comprehensive and comes with everything that you need in order to obtain the best results with the foundation. This includes a high-quality concealer as well as a tremendous finishing powder and enhances the natural look of the matte finish. In addition to this, you also get a number of BB creams and highlighters that help you create the ideal canvas.
Unlike many foundations on the market, the Maybelline is relatively easy to remove. All you need to do is use Micellar water to clean the makeup at night. Furthermore, this water can also be used as an effective cleanser that prepares your skin for applying the foundation in the morning.
- This is an effective foundation for both oily and normal skin
- The poreless finish is very exquisite
- The foundation offers more than 40 shades for all types of skin tones
- It comes in a comprehensive package that includes a concealer and finishing powder
- It is extremely easy to remove
- The medium coverage effectively masks small pores and blemishes
- This option might not be ideal for people with larger pores
- It tends to get cakey in some small areas around the nose
4 – Anti-Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup
- Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup
- CN 74 Beige
This is one of the few high-end and relatively expensive option on this list. As you would expect from a product at this price point, this anti-blemish foundation from Clinique does a fantastic job in eradicating all the signs of oily skin in a comprehensive and efficient manner. Moreover, the color of the finish is suitable for a wide range of skin tones and it contributes to improving the natural glow of your face without looking out of place or standing out too much.
While the price might seem excessive to some, it is important to note that this foundation’s effectiveness ensures that it lasts longer than its direct competition. In fact, you only need to apply a small amount of it in order to get the best results. You simply dab it on and spread it across the skin to cover a wider area without using too much foundation.
This foundation achieves the difficult task of controlling skin oil without causing too much dryness of flakiness. People with normal skin will also find the Clinique foundation to be a great option for them. Its ability to fit any type of skin makes it one of the most versatile products on the market today.
- This foundation is highly versatile and suits different types of skin
- It can be used effectively without applying a large amount
- It regulates oil without causing excessive dryness
- It gives the face a naturally radiant glow
- The color of the finish is exquisite and goes well with various complexions
- It does not get cakey even after a few hours
- It is more expensive than other products on this list
- This foundation has very little effect when it comes to curing acne
5 – Physicians Formula Nude Wear Touch of Glow Foundation
- Weightless Fluid + Nude Perfection + Luminous Glow
- Airy foundation is formulated with translucent, 100% Perfecting Nude Glow pigments allow...
- Hypoallergenic; Paraben Free; Gluten Free; Dermatologist approved; Non-Comedogenic;...
- Instantly evens out skin tone, illuminating and brightening complexion with a...
The final option in our list has everything going for it; a decent finish that goes well with any complexion, a good price, and an impressive versatility that allows it to serve multiple purposes with regard to improving the appearance and health of your skin. This foundation gives your face an unparalleled luminous glow that does not have the artificial look that plagues most entry-level skin products. This is mostly due to its great formula that employs translucent and contains 100% perfecting nude glow pigments. Whether your skin is oily or normal, this foundation will give it the radiant look that you desire.
In addition to the aforementioned qualities, another important feature of this foundation is the fact that it is entirely organic and free of any additives that could potentially harm your skin or trigger strong allergic reactions. It is devoid of any gluten, paraben, oils, or hypoallergenic components, making it one of the safest products on the market. Another quality that is worth praising is the weightlessness of this product. The fluid is so light that you will barely feel it when you are applying it.
- The fluid is essentially weightless and it is easy to apply
- It is formulated with translucent for better results
- The foundation is entirely organic and free of any harmful additives
- It is suited for both oily and normal skin
- It adds a luminous glow to the skin
- The price is great considering how effective it is
- The subtle orange tint of this foundation might not be to everyone’s taste
- The lightest shades are relatively darker than average
This guide outlines everything that you need in order to find the best foundation for oily skin. Every product that we reviewed in this article is excellent and would constitute a valuable addition to your skin care kit whether you have oily skin or regular skin. Go over the reviews again and check some customer feedback to make sure that you are getting a foundation that can live up to your expectations.
Last update on 2019-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API