Last Updated on
Best Foundation For Mature Skin In 2020 – Top Reviews and Buying Guide
Due to the sheer number of options that are available on the market, picking a product for mature skin can be quite a daunting task. Adding to this is the fact that aging skin is quite sensitive and requires special attention with regard to finding an ideal skin care product that can adequately accommodate it. However, this can become relatively simple once you have grasped all the moving parts and variables that contribute to determining the quality and effectiveness of these products. In this article, we will discuss some of these variables and we will help you identify the best foundation for mature skin in 2020.
The factors that you should keep in mind when looking for a foundation for mature skin
To make sure that you are getting the right product for your skin, it is imperative that you take the time to familiarize yourself with the basic characteristics of foundations. Below is a detailed look at the main factors that you should focus on when you are trying to pick the best foundation for mature skin on the market
Excessive dryness is one of the major signs of aging skin. If left untreated, it can lead to severe flakiness, fine lines, and an increase in the number of circles and wrinkles on the face. That is why the foundation has to include several hydrating components that can help moisturize the skin in an effective and continuous manner.
The weight of the foundation
For a foundation to be comfortable to wear, it must be light enough to the point of not constraining the face and causing it to feel restricted. More importantly, foundations that are lightweight have the capacity to penetrate the skin more effectively than heavier ones, which makes them perfectly suited for mature skin.
It goes without saying that the foundation should be consistent and long-lasting. A good product must be able to retain its texture hours after the initial application and even after prolonged exposure to the elements of the outdoors. Foundations that lack this quality will inevitably become cakey as the day progresses which will force you to reapply the liquid multiple times within the span of 24 hours.
The coverage of the foundation needs to be buildable so that it can allow you to add multiple layers without worrying about the initial layer becoming too thick. Foundations with medium to high coverage are significantly more effective and are generally more long-lasting than those with low coverage.
Application and removal
For more convenience and practicality, it is highly advisable that you opt for a foundation that is easy to apply and remove. This is especially important if you are planning on using it on a daily basis and can afford to spend longs periods of time on the application and removal process. Any product that comes with complicated instructions or requires a set of extra tools should be avoided.
Rashes, irritations, and allergic reactions are some of the most common adverse side effects that stem from using skincare product. To eliminate the risk of experiencing any of these issues, make sure to go with a foundation that is entirely formulated using organic ingredients rather than artificial ones.
If you value animal rights, then this factor should be one of your primary concerns. Even though the practice of testing products on animals has significantly declined in recent years, there are still some companies that perform this kind of testing. To avoid doing business with them, check the description to ensure that the foundation is certified cruelty-free.
The available shades
Due to the wide differences in skin complexions and tons, foundations need to offer a selection of shades that can accommodate each variation. Make sure to check the available shades before making a purchase as some brands do not offer a wide selection that accommodates every complexion.
This factor depends on how much you are willing to invest. But generally speaking, you can get a decent foundation for as low as $8. However, there are some high-end options that can be significantly more expensive than that.
Frequently asked questions
1 – Can I use the foundation in the area just under the eyes?
This is not necessary. The main purpose of using foundations is to give the face a natural-looking glow and reduce the visibility of wrinkles and circles that are associated with aging. As for what you should under the eyes, It is generally recommended that you apply a concealer or a BB cream.
2 – Do I need to use foundation every time I want to wear makeup?
This is not the case. In fact, you only need foundation is your skin tone is not even and requires some degree of coverage. If the surface of your skin is not to dry and does not have any blemishes, then you can wear your makeup without the need to apply foundation first.
3 – Are there any risks that come with using foundation on a daily basis?
There is no evidence that points to any risks associated with the frequent wearing of a foundation. Contrary to a common misconception, your skin pores won’t be clogged up if you use foundation on a daily basis. If anything, the frequent wearing of high-quality foundations can boost the overall health of your skin and protect from a host of issues, not the least of which exposure to the sun.
Reviews of the best foundations for mature skin
1 – Revlon Age Defying Firming and Lifting Makeup
- Anti-aging foundation with Tri-Shield Technology
- Hydrating moisturizer, smoothing serum, and radiance primer all in one
- Firms, lifts, hydrates, and covers
- Protects your skin with SPF 37
As you would expect from any Revlon product, this foundation is simply exquisite and it incorporates the brand’s latest Tri-Shield technology. Its formula is specifically tailored to accommodate the specificities of mature skin and it contains a number of components that provide the skin with a natural and unassuming glow. Furthermore, this foundation features several anti-aging ingredients that help preserve the skin and keep it in pristine condition long after you’ve stopped using it. The liquid itself remains consistent for long periods of time and it is easy to apply and remove.
Another aspect that makes the Revlon such an ideal option for mature skin is the hydrating elements that are found in it. You can expect to get a healthy level of moisture without worrying about the overly oily look that some moisturizers produce. In addition to this, the Revlon protects the skin for the sun’s ultraviolet rays thanks to its SPF 38 formula. Overall, the value that you are getting with this product is simply peerless. For the low price, you are getting a multipurpose a foundation that can serve as a hydrating moisturizer, a soothing serum, and as a radiance primer. It also offers 12 different shades for various skin complexions and tones.
- The price to quality ratio is exceptionally high
- The foundation offers a decent coverage
- The product is relatively easy to apply and remove
- It provides ample protection against the sun’s ultraviolet rays
- It is extremely effective when it comes to moisturizing the surface of the skin
- The formula of the foundation includes a number of anti-aging ingredients
- The light shades are relatively darker than advertised
- The foundation has a very slight orange tint
2 – Almay Smart Shade Anti-Aging Skintone Matching Makeup
- Almay's anti-aging foundation with SPF 20 doesn't just make lines less of a bother by...
- The lightweight liquid formula starts out white and instantly transforms into your ideal...
- Almay's Tonemimic technology uses tiny spheres that break open and release pigment as you...
- Available in 6 skin-tone-adjusting shades that are suitable for sensitive skin. Pair with...
The second option in our list is a fairly potent product that helps minimize fine lines, wrinkles, and contributes to enhancing the texture of your skin. This foundation owes much of its effectiveness to Almay’s proprietary formula. It makes use of Tone Mimic shade-sensing technology, making it a perfect option for people with mature skin. The glow that it gives the face looks very subtle and natural.
The Almay Smart foundation is extremely adept at blending into your skin and adjusting its color to suit any skin tone or complexion. Its consistency is quite excellent and the application does not require using a significant amount of the product. Moreover, removing it at the end of the day is straightforward and merely requires rinsing your face with water. It is also worth noting that the feeling of refreshment that is engendered by the Almay Smart Shade foundation can last for hours after its complete removal from the surface of the skin.
The lightweight composition of this foundation is another factor that makes it a worthy investment. Wearing it feels extremely comfortable and unlike other entry-level products, it does not get cakey at any point during the day.
- The foundation gives you a long-lasting and natural-looking glow
- The formula of the product employs the unique Tone Mimic shade-sensing technology
- The coverage is fairly decent
- It is easy to apply and remove
- It is remarkably consistent and it does not get cakey after a few hours
- The price is very affordable
- The available shades do not accommodate a very light skin complexion
- It is not an ideal option for people with dry or flaky skin
3 – Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup
- Erases the look of fine lines while hydrating
- Patented micro-corrector applicator helps to fill and smooth imperfections on the skin's...
- Applicator is protected by an anti-microbial system
- Anti-aging foundation with spf 18 and antioxidants protect skin from damage
The bold name of this foundation says it all. When it comes to reducing the signs of aging, few options can match the Maybelline instant age rewind eraser. It boasts an SPF of 18 and it is specifically designed to conceal wrinkles and circles in a natural and subtle manner. The secret to this foundation’s potency lies in its strong formula that combines the nutritional properties of goji berry with the endogenous regenerative capacity of collagen, a structural protein that is produced by the human body and whose levels tend to drop as we age.
Besides its ability to smoothen any type of imperfection on the surface of the skin, the Age Rewind Eraser is also beneficial in a lot of other areas. It can help protect your face from sun damage as well as nourish your skin with a plethora of organic ingredients. The effectiveness of the Maybelline was clinically proven and we can safely state that it exceeded our expectations.
In order to achieve the best possible results, you should apply this foundation directly to the surface of the skin using the micro-corrector applicator. After this, you need to blend it in an outward motion so that you can get good coverage.
- The texture of the foundation is very exquisite and creamy
- It does not have a propensity to cake in lines after application
- It effectively covers all sorts of blemishes and wrinkles
- The glow that it adds to the face is natural-looking
- It does an amazing job on the area around the eyes
- It is ideal for people with dry skin
- The applicator is poorly designed and not easy to use
- The foundation needs to be applied twice a day for adequate results
4 – Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint Golden
- Formulated without: Parabens, Sulfates, or Phthalates
This is one of the most expensive options on the market and it is mostly destined to people who are willing to invest a little bit more than the average asking price for skincare products. This foundation softens all types of blemishes and evens out the texture of the skin in a non-artificial manner. Furthermore, it boasts a natural hydrating ingredient that contributes to keeping the skin moisturized at all times. Considering the fact that skin dryness is one of the leading causes of accelerated aging, it becomes apparent that using this product can go a long way in preserving your skin and reducing the number of circles and wrinkles that appear on it.
Unlike many brands that shy away from revealing the actual success rate of their products, the Hourglass Illusion’s efficacy is clinically proven. In fact, 100% of the women who tried the product have experienced an immediate improvement with regard to the texture, glow, and miniaturization of the surface of their skin. Moreover, the women reported that all the fine lines that were visible on their faces have seemingly vanished after applying the foundation for the first time.
- The foundation is made from organic ingredients
- It effectiveness eradicates all signs of aging upon first application
- It helps keep the skin moisturized throughout the day
- The application process is fairly simple and convenient
- It boasts a clinically-proven success rate of 100%
- The foundation is very light and comfortable to wear
- This product is significantly more expensive than other foundations on the list
- The foundation is a little bit greasier than we’d like it to be
5 – COVERGIRL + Olay Simply Ageless 3-in-1 Liquid Foundation
- REDUCES WRINKLES: Anti-aging foundation instantly reduces the look of wrinkles for a...
- IMPROVES TONE: Evens skin tone and blurs the appearance of dark circles and other...
- HYDRATING FORMULA: Contains hyaluronic complex and vitamin C for firmer and...
- FIND YOUR SHADE: Available in multiple shades so you can find the right match for your...
This versatile foundation has a lot going for it. Its potent formula allows it to eradicate wrinkles, even out any type of skin tone, and moisturize the surface of the skin without causing any irritations or allergic reaction. It contains several organic ingredients whose sole purpose is to illuminate your face and give if the youthful look that you desire. This foundation is mainly tailored to people with dry to very dry skin. Those with oily skin should look elsewhere as this product would likely exasperate the issue.
The application of this foundation is relatively simple and the coverage that it provides is excellent. You can expect to get a decent result without having to use up a huge amount of the product. As for adding thin layers to it, the process can be achieved with relative ease as the foundation will remain consistent throughout the day without becoming cakey after a few hours. More importantly, the texture that it offers lasts the whole day and you won’t have to reapply it again. Considering its relatively low price, the Ageless Liquid Foundation would constitute a very good addition to your skin care kit.
- The coverage and application of the foundation is flawless
- The price is tremendous considering the value that this product offers
- It does not contain any harmful chemicals that could trigger irritations
- The texture of the foundation lasts longer than other products
- Its moisturizing properties are highly effective
- It can easily be layered
- The fragrance of the foundation might be too strong for some people
- It is not ideal for people with oily skin
The process of picking a skincare product for mature skin should never be rushed. In order to ensure that you are getting a high-quality foundation that lives up to your expectations, make sure to go over the reviews multiple times and check customer feedback to get some firsthand accounts of what each option has to offer. At the end of the day, each of the options that we reviewed in this article is excellent and you can never go wrong with any of them.
Last update on 2019-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API