Last Updated on
How many times you had to drill a hole in the ground to insert a pole or something similar? How many times you had to repair a fence that required the same thing? Probably many, countless times in fact. In all the cases we mentioned you need the same thing, it is known as the earth auger.
Earth augers are designed to drill a hole in the ground for inserting poles. They may seem like a simple and ordinary tool, but today they are complex and each one might be the right choice for you. Let’s see 5 models that should be considered.
Top 5 Earth Augers
XtremepowerUS V-Type 55CC 2 Stroke Gas Post Hole Digger 3/4″ Shaft 1-Man Auger
- Post hole diggers are made adaptable with most standard auger bits with shaft size of...
- XtremepowerUS Post Hole Digger gives you plenty of power to efficiently dig and bore...
- Engine Type: Single Cylinder, Air-cooled Gasoline Engine; Engine Displacement: 55CC;...
- Engineered with a manual recoil start easy fuel delivery system that allows for a...
XtremepowerUS V-Type 55CC 2 Stroke Gas Post Hole Digger 3/4″ Shaft 1-Man Auger Powerhead (Digger + 6″ Bit) EPA Motor is the earth auger we all liked. It is powered by a gasoline engine with 55 cc and it has 2.3 HP. In the package, you get 6 inches shaft that is ready to be used whenever you are ready.
The entire model is well-made, suitable for heavy-duty operations and comes with all the essentials you will need. You can adjust the throttle easily, the level of vibrations is below average and the entire unit is strong. The shaft size compatibility is ¾ inches. In a nutshell, it is an advanced model suitable for all operations.
- Powerful engine
- Transparent tank lets you see how much fuel you have left
- Comfortable to use
- Digger and 6 inch bit included
- Extensions are difficult to find
- 8 inches bits are fragile
Southland SEA438 One Man Earth Auger with 43cc, 2 Cycle, Full Crankshaft Engine
- Manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system
- Includes Gas Powerhead with 8” Auger Bit; 6-inch bit available and sold separately
- Direct gear with solid steel drive shaft
- Wide detachable butterfly handles for better balance and convenient storage
Here is another gas auger that deserves your attention. The unit comes with 43 cc gas-powered engine and 8 inches auger bit. The 6 inches version is available as well, but it is sold separately. With 8 inches unit, you can drill holes up to 2.5 feet deep. Of course, this will depend on the soil type and the hardness involved.
The earth auger we tested is paired with a solid drive and shaft made from solid steel. Thanks to this combination, the unit is powerful and can be used for more demanding operations. It is also available in different packages that can include 2, 3, 4 or 5 units included.
- Powerful motor
- Great handles
- 8 inches bit included
- Solid steel shaft
- Small for some users
- Replacement parts and bits are difficult to find
Landworks Heavy Duty Eco-Friendly Electric Cordless Auger Power Head
- THE GREAT CIRCLE UPPER HAND - Partner with us & join millions who are using our cutting...
- ECO-FRIENDLY & SAFE: Unlike gasoline auger, battery-powered auger produce no smog and are...
- EFFICIENT: Our Power Head is designed with a 3-Planetary Gear Mechanism for higher...
- BATTERY INCLUDED: One 2 Amp Hour Lithium Ion Battery & Charger are included. An optional 4...
Now we have the best earth auger that is powered by electricity. It is definitely a powerful unit considering that it has an electric motor of 1400 Watts and the battery of 2 Amps. It is available an upgraded version of 4 Amps but it is sold separately. With the standard battery and a single charge, you can drill up to 30 holes. Charging is fast.
The entire unit weighs 22 pounds and comes with three planetary mechanisms which enhances drilling process and makes it easier. The auger looks stunning and it is actually one of the most advanced models on the market. It is great for those who like eco-friendly tools and the ones that don’t like any noise while using them.
- Lifetime on a single battery charge
- Strong design
- Handles are thick and massive
- 2 HP of power
- 4 Amp battery will be a much better option
ECO LLC 52cc 2.4HP Gas Powered Post Hole Digger with Two Earth Auger Drill Bit 6″ & 10″
- 【52CC GASLINE ENGINE】The auger is ideal for quickly drilling into the earth in order...
- 【MULTIPLE SIZE DRILL BITS】Supplied with bits of 6" & 10" meet your different hole dig...
- 【MAIN PARAMTER】Engine: Single Cylinder, 2-stroke, air-cooled; 2 Cycle Oil /Gasoline...
- 【PERFECT DIRT DIGGING】Lightweight & Easy to start, it is the perfect machine that will...
This is a new addition to the market and the one that we liked a lot. First of all, it is one of two man augers capable of heavy-duty operations. The 52 cc engine produces 2.4 HP of power, more than sufficient for some of you. Then we have the auger bits included in the package. Each unit comes with 6 and 10 inches bits packaged and ready. The handles can be detached for easier storage.
Some assembly is required but it is an easy task and you won’t need more than 30 minutes. The only drawback is the fact the package will be divided into two parcels and they may arrive separately to your address. It is a drawback for all of those who are looking for a fast method to start drilling holes. In addition, the model we tested is available in several versions which differ in the bits included.
- Included bits
- Easy to assembly
- New design
- Detachable handle
- Some elements are made from cheap materials
XtremepowerUS 1200W 1.6HP Electric Post Hole Digger Fence Plant Soil Dig Powerhead with 4″ Auger Bits Set
- Strong and Durable -The auger drill bit is made of high strength manganese steel, well...
- Safety Lock - Powerhead is equipped with a safety lock function that prevents any...
- 1200W Heavy Duty Motor - 1,200 Watts, 10.9 Amps and 1.6 HP high performance motor delivers...
- Comfortable Handles - Ergonomic design. Our one-man post digger features two anti-skid,...
The last model on our list is powered by electricity. It has 1200 Watts of power or 1.6HP and it can be used with 4 inches bits. The unit will provide 200 RPMs at any given moment and it can drill almost 25 holes in a single charge. We liked the simplicity but also hardcore construction which made us believe this is more than a cheap unit.
If you need a small and compact earth auger this is the model for you. We had a great time on our tests and we believe it is one of the most desirable models today. The biggest drawback is the small auger included in the package. Most users will have to replace it any time soon.
- Value for money
- Heavy-duty paint
- Small can powerful
- Auger bit is included
- Uncomfortable handle
- Small bit of 4 inches including
How Can You Choose The Best Earth Auger
You will have to understand the mechanics behind these tools in order to be able to find the one that meets your requirements the most.
That’s why we will present you ultimate buyer’s guide right now. Below are all the questions you may need to ask and their answers.
What types of earth augers there are?
There are three main types. The first is manual auger which is precise as the name suggests. It is manual, heavy and very affordable. Best one man auger is powered by gas or electricity and it is designed to be used by a single user. Models of this kind are popular and versatile.
The strongest of them all are two man models. They require 2 people to be used and they are heavy, powerful and expensive. Most of them are powered by gas.
Which power source do you need?
Electric models are smaller and more compact. You can choose between cored which are designed to be used around the house or cordless which have a battery. They are usually made for minor or smaller tasks. Gas powered augers are the strongest, but the heaviest. All of them use 2 stroke engines.
What power of the motor do you need?
You need 1.5HP or more. A unit of this power output can be used for all tasks and it is capable of drilling even in hard soil. Weaker models are more suitable for gardens and smaller tasks.
How deep I can drill?
With standard bits, you can drill 2.5 feet. This is sufficient for most users. However, if you want to go deeper, you will need to purchase additional bits that will allow you that.
XtremepowerUS V-Type 55CC 2 Stroke Gas Post Hole Digger 3/4″ Shaft 1-Man Auger Powerhead is the earth auger we all liked. This model got 4.9 out of 5 star rating thanks to its power, advanced features and the bit included in the package. It is also very comfortable to use and can be used on any terrain. It simply does its mission the best.
Last update on 2019-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API