Last Updated on
Over the past decade, non-military use of drones has witnessed a huge surge in popularity. The range of application is rather wide and extends across several fields and industries. One of the most common ones is using drones to capture images and shoot high-quality videos. The devices that are ideal for this use are designed specifically to accommodate action cameras, namely the models that are manufactured by industry giant GOPRO. In this comprehensive guide, we will go over the main characteristics of these devices and will help you pick the best drone for GoPro on the market.
The main factors that you need to be aware of when picking a drone for GOPRO
The specs of drones can be confusing if you are a beginner. After all, you are not exactly sure of what to expect and are more likely to fall for clever marketing and hype. To help you navigate through this ever-growing market, we have identified the main factors that you need to be familiar with before purchasing a drone for your GoPro camera.
Regardless of your level of experience, your drone is bound to crash or bump into another object. While preventing this from occurring is virtually impossible, the least you can do is get a durable drone that can withstand some degree of impact without sustaining irreparable damage. To make sure that your investment isn’t a potential bust, get a well-made unit that is constructed from premium materials.
This is another inevitable feature of owning a drone. Due to various factors that can be outside of your control, at some point, you are going to need a replacement part for your device. That is why you should only invest in brands that offer an abundance of replacement parts at a reasonable price.
Ease of use
The learning curve that is associated with operating entry-level drones is quite steep as it is; there is no reason to make it even more complicated. Avoid overly complex models that are difficult to control and opt for simpler drones that come with detailed instructions.
As it is the case with any electronic device, battery life is an important factor for GoPro drones. Ideally, you want the flight to last a decent amount of time so that you can take enough photos and videos without constantly worrying about the battery running out.
Another battery-related factor that you should be aware of is the charging time. This refers to the amount of time that the battery takes before reaching a full charge. The industry average is around 2 hours, and anything above that mark can be considered a little bit inconvenient.
This feature has a huge impact on the image quality of the GoPro drone. As its name suggests, the stabilizer fixes the camera in-flight and minimizes the vibrations that would otherwise affect image quality. Gimbal stabilizers, in particular, are extremely effective and the drones that have them perform better than the competition.
The main benefit of the mount is that it gives you the ability to conveniently fix the camera in place. The perfect drone mount should be compatible with the majority of action cameras on the market and not just one particular brand.
The GPS feature is extremely valuable, especially for beginners who are just getting into drones. The units that have built-in GPS offer a number of conveniences that are not available in other models. The list includes practical functions such as Follow Me, a technology that programs the drone into automatically following you around, and Return Home, a system that safely returns the device to its starting point. Furthermore, GPS-enabled drones are adept at obstacle avoidance and are significantly easier to control.
Weight and dimensions
Many beginners make the mistake of assuming that bigger drones are somewhat superior to the more compact ones. This erroneous assumption couldn’t be farther from the truth. In fact, it is preferable that you go with a light small drone. This will make storing and carrying the device easier and much more convenient.
Frequently asked questions
1 – Is it possible to use a GoPro with a drone that comes with its own camera?
As long as the drone is equipped with a GoPro-compatible mount, the built-in camera is not a factor that you should worry both. Both cameras can be used in tandem with no issues.
2 – What is GoPro Compatible drone?
Regardless of the model that you have, drones that are compatible with GoPro can accommodate cameras of all sizes and shapes.
3 – What exactly is the “Karma Grip”?
The karma grip is an image stabilization tool that is made by GOPRO. It is attached to the Gimbal and its main purpose is to improve image quality and make it smoother regardless of the movement of the drone.
Best drones for GoPro review
1 – 3DR Solo Quadcopter
- Solo’s video game-style controller will feel familiar the second you pick it up, even if...
- In case you missed it in the picture…that’s a high-quality HDMI port directly from the...
- Full-featured app for iOS and Android puts total craft control at your fingertips.
3DR solo is one of the most popular options among drone enthusiast. It comes with a number of interesting features that make it worth the investment. More notably, this device is easy to use and it is perfectly suited for a complete beginner.
Unlike the majority of drones in its price range, the 3DR is simple to operate and does not come with the unnecessary complex features that have become so common these days. This compact unit is capable of several impressive aerial maneuvers and feats. It takes off almost instantaneously and can land on any surface with absolute ease.
Some other remarkable things about this drone include the wide range and easy control. It can fly more than 1 mile from its starting point and remains steady and stable throughout the flight. As for using this drone to take pictures, everything is made easy and simple thanks to seamless GoPro integration and a set of intuitive camera controls.
- This quadrocopter for GoPro is extremely easy to use
- The construction is very robust and durable
- The camera controls and intuitive and practical
- It has the ability to remain stable during flight
- The connection to the GPS is fairly slow
- It is relatively heavy
2 – DJI Phantom 2 V2.0 Quadcopter
- Complete quad copter and remote transmitter, pre-tuned by the factory and ready in...
- Fun flying by itself or even better with a GoPro to record the action. Tested with Hero2,...
- Built-in support for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal for extreme camera stability and silky...
- Fly up to 28 minutes on a single charge using the included 5,200-mAh lithium polymer...
This unit was made by the largest drone maker in the world and is the latest version of one of the most popular drone models on the market. Every single aspect of this device is tailored for taking images as efficiently as possible. Furthermore, there is no learning curve for operating it and beginners will surely appreciate its straightforward and simple controls.
Like its predecessor, the flight time that is provided by the Phantom 2 is almost tremendous at this price range. You can fly up to 28 minutes on a single charge thanks to the included powerful lithium polymer battery. Moreover, the battery’s ability to retain charge was further enhanced thanks to a now cutting-edge circuitry.
The phantom has built-in support for GoPro cameras as well as Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal, which allows for great stability even when you are shooting at very extreme angles.
- The flight time is impressive
- The frame feels durable
- Video remains stable even at awkward angles
- The battery is one of the best on the market
- The LED indicator is poorly constructed
- Replacement battery is expensive
3 – Qiyun Aton Traxxas
This is another multi-purpose drone that is ideal for taking aerial images. It is relatively affordable and it contains a number of capabilities that make it a strong contender for the title of best drone for GOPRO.
Performance wise, this device is capable of multiple aerial maneuvers and has the capacity to reach an impressive speed of 50 miles per house. It is fully GPS enabled and comes with an air brake feature that can be valuable in urgent situations. Additionally, the Aton boasts the highly practical Return to Home feature that ensures the device’s safety at all times.
On top of its great performance and plethora of features, one of the biggest selling points of this unit is the good customer support. The team is very responsive and its members are qualified enough to answer all your queries and fix any technical issue.
- The customer support is great
- Good price to quality ratio
- The drone can reach impressive speeds
- It is equipped with a built-in 12-volt power tap for Gimbal
- It is capable of a wide range of maneuvers
- The transmitter is somewhat underwhelming
- It is not compatible with Mac OS
4 – Holy Stone HS700 FPV Drone
- 2K HD CAMERA 5G TRANSMISSION: The advanced camera with 110°FOV lens captures high-quality...
- GPS ASSISTED FLIGHT: With GPS location, the rc drone can hover stably and automatically...
- INTELLIGENT FLIGHT: With Phone App and GPS on, the drone can fly along the path you Draw...
- DURABLE BATTERY & BRUSHLESS MOTOR: The high-capacity 2800mAh intelligent battery yields up...
Holy Stone have really outdone themselves with this model. In fact, the HS700 FPV is probably their best offering to date. This well-engineered unit has a staggering amount of capabilities that aren’t usually seen in mid-range drones. It allows you to fully customize your flight path through a highly responsive app and it is equipped with a GPS follow-me system that enables hands-free use.
Flying this drone is both easy and enjoyable. The powerful brushless motor that it is equipped with provides steady and quiet flights while the built-in modular battery ensures a longer a longer operation time. Furthermore, the HS700 boasts the unique Point of Interest function that enables the device to circle clockwise around a point, resulting in vivid and captivating images.
The drone is equipped with a high-end 1920*1080p camera that captures images with a great level of detail and colors. Moreover, it is compatible with all GoPro models and offers 5G live video transmission.
- The built-in camera is just as good as a high-end GOPRO
- The brushless motor guarantees a smooth and quiet flight
- The 5G Live Video transmission is crystal clear
- Comes with a custom flight path function
- Customer support was not as responsive as we hoped
- The camera is not adjustable in flight
5 – DROCON Bugs 3
- Updated Brushless motor: Brushless motor won't overheat and melt like plastic, so you get...
- Fly up to 15-20 minutes: Blue bugs 3 lasts for 15 minutes at mid-to-high throttle, and up...
- Long distance control remote control alarm: ven when your Blue bugs 3 is a tiny Speck in...
- Fly against high speed wind: bugs 3 is made of durable nylon fiber material and the weigh...
Considering its low price, this drone provides a lot of value for users on a tight budget. It comes in a comprehensive package that includes a camera holder, a charger, a powerful 1800mah battery, as well as a set of blades and blade protectors.
As the latest version of the Bugs series, this drone is equipped with the latest DROCON brushless motor that was specifically designed to prevent the overheating issues that plagued earlier models. The flight time has also undergone a significant upgrade, going from 12 minutes to around 15 minutes at a mid to high throttle and 20 minutes with conservative use.
The durability of this model and its good construction are also worthy of praise. The durable nylon fiber that was used to manufacture the main body of the drone gives the Bugs 3 the ability to fly against the wind with relative ease.
- The low price – one of the best cheap drone for GoPro
- The durable construction that allows the drone to fly in bad weather
- The flight time is decent for such an affordable unit
- It is significantly faster than previous models
- Charging times are quite long
- Difficult to control for beginners
When you are in the market for any type of drone, the best course of action is to always learn as much as possible about the device before committing to any particular product. This will help you make an informed purchasing decision and ensure that you are getting a unit that suits your needs. Make sure to go over our reviews to help you make up your mind on which model to choose.
Last update on 2020-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API