Last Updated on
In terms of band saws, larger is often preferred but not always better. Bigger 16-inch band saws are less susceptible to vibration due to their mass, bigger cutting capacity and have greater power. Nevertheless, they cost more, are much heavier and take up more space in the shop. To help you choose the best models, here are some factors you need to bear in mind whenever you shop for a band saw.
- CUTTING BLADE WIDTH
Most bandsaws available in the market today typically go utilizing a thin blade of 1/8-inch to accomplish detailed designs and make sharp cuts. As a result, if you prefer a sophisticated detailed work, which comprises of curves, you must for a thinner blade. However, if you are searching to create straight cuts thicker timber, choosing wider cutting blades are the perfect way to go.
- BAND SAW TABLE
In order to carry out all your cutting tasks, you’ll require a table. The qualities of a great table possess is that it keeps completely stationary and stable during the operation, does not curve or bend at all and is made of strong heavy duty metal, normally aluminum or cast iron. For some reasons, specialists don’t suggest tables that are made of sheet metal as they can easily flex and bend easily that will cost you more in the long run.
- FRAME STYLE
The majority of band saws feature a cast iron frame. Some of the recent models utilize welded steel frames that are often seen on bigger saws. Cast iron is a great option though. Take note to prevent steel frames on a single frame because the frames aren’t strong enough. The number of layers is easy to count and see, but ensure to check the quality of the welds and compare the thickness of sheet metal. Further, finish and overall fit is a sign of general quality, but an excellent paint job doesn’t pay for a weak frame.
- WHEEL DIAMETER
Apart from the mentioned factors, it’s is also a crucial factor when buying a band saw to assess the wheel diameter. Simply put, the larger the wheels, the great the band saw. Larger wheels are more likely to keep straight and the chance of bending is less. On the flip side, smaller wheels are more likely to flex more often. This is the main reason why you must try to prevent band saws that come together in 3 wheels and just stick to the two-wheel grips. Moreover, band gears that have 3 wheels typically have smaller sized wheels as the smaller diameter tend to bend.
- THROAT SIZE
The larger the neck dimensions, the larger the cutting skills of the band saw. Take note, a group saw with 15 inches of neck dimension has the ability to cut timber at least 15 inches in diameter. A lot of manufacturers utilize smaller wheels in their band saws to grow its cutting depth but you need to remember that the smaller the width, the lesser its lifespan would be. Thus, if you are searching for something that may cut bigger widths at the same time continues longer, always opt for the one that has a bigger diameter.
- MOTOR SIZE AND CAPACITY
Unless you’re limited by other factors, always pick a larger sized engine as they do not burn as fast as their smaller counterparts. Aside from that, depending on the requirements, 1hp is the minimum you must strive for; however, for those moderate duty tasks, you must get something that supplies more than 2hp. You’ll always find band saws for sale available with more oomph but you won’t like them unless you’re going to perform some heavy duty work. Make sure to always try to choose the band saw, which comes with a motor bigger in size. A rule of thumb, take note that between 2 motors utilizing the same power motor, the larger one will always perform more reliability and will last longer.
Top Band Saw Review
So now that you are fully aware of the different factors to consider when buying band saws, it’s time to find out the top band saws available on the market today.
GRIZZLY G0513 2HP BAND SAW
- Blade sizes available 1/8-Inch - 1-Inch Standard blade length: 131 1/2-Inch Blade...
- Motor: TEFC capacitor start induction 2 HP single-phase/60 Hz 110V/220V Amps: 20/10 ...
- Made in United States
While you do receive a blade supplied, it is not effective because supplying low caliber freebies such as this is worse than including none at all.
- -Great 12 inches cutting power to ideal for bigger projects
- -Geared table constructed from precision-ground cast iron along with micro-adjusting functionality is extremely durable and user-friendly
- -Strong 2 horsepower denotes you can undertake ambitious tasks with total confidence
- -Relatively slow blade speed may be a hassle if you want to cut big amounts of lumber to limited timescales
- -Blade supplied is not good quality
- -Costly compared to other rivals in the markeе
SKIL 3386-01 BAND SAW
- Rip fence for straight, accurate cuts; 6 TPI band saw blade cuts through a variety of wood...
- Articulating LED work light for better view of work piece and cut line
- Features a 1-1/2 inch dust port that keeps work area clear of dust
- Rack and pinion table adjustment for quick angle and height adjustments
- -Fast angle and height adjustments with pinion and rack table
- -The 1 ½ dust port guarantees that the workspace is clear of dust always
- -It cuts accurately and straightly thanks to the rip fence
- -Some unit doesn’t come with a rip fence as marketed
- -Too flimsy and light for a stationary saw
- -You shouldn’t forget to register the item within 30 days or else the warranty will be invalid
WEN 3962 TWO-SPEED BAND SAW
- Your purchase includes One WEN 10-Inch Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand, 3962 model |...
- Stand dimensions: 13” L x 15” W x 25” H | Table – 14” x 12” (bevels up to 45...
- 3.5-amp motor creates cuts up to six inches deep and 9-3/4 inches wide
- The WEN Band Saw includes a 3-in-1 Dust Port to fit a variety of dust collection hose...
However, stationary band saws like these with stands provide the same firmness as table saws than its power tool equivalents.
Furthermore, to make short work of conduit, pipes and wood work pieces, you must look for a model with better blades and a decent volume of speed. In terms of decent volume of speed, this band saw has you covered along with its twin-sped motor, which can go around 1,530 fpm to 2,620 fpm. Also, it comes complete with a work light, 3-in1 dust port, fence, and miter gauge. Another good thing about this is that the manufacturer offers a 2-year limited warranty, which denotes you can purchase this band saw with a total peace of mind. You will also take advantage of their superb customer care service if required. If you are residing in the United States, you can afford of their extensive network of technicians at your disposal to repair any issues.
- -The unit uses 72 inches that is anywhere between 1/8-1/2 inches in size
- -You are guaranteed of the cleanest cuts because of the cut capacity of the unit of 9 ¾ inches wide and 6-inch deep
- -It offers 2-year warranty combined with US-based specialists and committed helpline for an excellent care package
- -Reported concerns with light reflecting back off its table
- -Not cut out for any professional purposes
- -Making adjustments can be time consuming and awkward
Do I Need Band Saws?
If you considered making curved cuts on woods, buying a band saw is perfect. You can re-saw or rip lumber into smaller chunks with comfort. They come into their own cutting irregular sizes. Precise, capable of taking most different blades and smooth, band saws are the best multi-tasking tools for you. Therefore, whether you wish to make relief cuts or cross-cuts, to construct chair legs, to cut off square edges, there a bit to rival a band saw. For commercial or residential use, you will surely find a band saw to fit your situation and budget. To sum up, we hope that you have found this best band saw buying guide and reviews with your purchasing decision. Remember, getting the top band saw at the most affordable price is really not so hard if you will take your time, assess your needs and do enough of research. Happy shopping guys!
Also check out our portable saw buying guide.
Last update on 2020-07-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API