Last Updated on
Interest in drones has skyrocketed in a way that few could have predicted. Once reserved for military applications, the use of these devices has swept a wide range of industries ranging from filmmaking and producing live sporting events to monitoring infrastructure and tracking wildfires. One particular application of drones has been gaining a lot of traction lately; using them to take photos and videos. In recent years, drones that are specifically designed for this purpose have seen the light of day. To help you better understand how these devices operate, our detailed guide will demystify everything you need to know about them and will help you find the best selfie drone on the market today.
The key factors that you should keep in mind when looking for a selfie drone
Selfie drones are a relatively new invention and their popularity seems to be increasing with each passing year. As a result of this, manufacturers have been aggressively marketing their products in an attempt to capitalize on the positive trend. The downside of this was the sudden influx of low-quality drones that offer very little when it comes to functionality. To help you sift through all of this, we have compiled what we believe to be the most crucial factors that every buyer should be aware of. This is by no means a complete list, but it should be enough to help you find the perfect model for your budget.
This is one of the first aspects that you need to pay attention to. Selfie drones have to be designed in a way that allows for easy storing and carrying. Since the majority of your activity will probably take place in the outdoors, you need a device that can be folded down to a fraction of its original size. The drone should also be light enough to be carried without requiring a lot of physical effort.
Flight stability has a direct impact on the level of control that you have over the drone selfie device as well as on the quality of images that you take. A good drone should be able to hover in a steady fashion and should be equipped with a built-in mechanism that reduces vibration and unnecessary movement. This factor is hard to gauge due to the lack of any metric that can accurately quantify it. Your best bet is to rely on user reviews in order to get a detailed look at what to expect from the drone.
The image quality that you want out of your drone will depend on various factors such as your budget and the kind of application that you are planning to use it for. Entry-level drones are often equipped with cheap cameras that are on the low end of HD resolution. If you want a professional grade image quality, you should aim for drones that are equipped with 4K cameras.
Flight time refers to the number of minutes that the drone can sustain continuous flight for. The affordable models can generally deliver up to 8 minutes of flight time while high-end units can exceed the 20-minute mark. Before making a decision, make sure to have a clear idea of what your needs are in order to avoid getting a drone that is not suited for you.
Drone technology is improving at a staggering rate. Unlike the old models that only had basic flight controls, the current generation of drones comes with a wide array of features that contribute to boosting performance and facilitating maneuverability. Ideally, you should get a model that comes with several of these characteristics. Features like gesture control, flying selfie camera facial recognition, and follow-me are guaranteed to provide a tremendous user experience.
GPS location is an integral component of great navigation and control. Drones that have this feature can be quickly retrieved in case of a malfunction and are able to return to the launching point after taking the pictures. It is worth noting that the flight of your drone can be interrupted by a host of factors that are completely outside of your control. The most common of these is running into strong winds and unexpected collisions with objects that cut their trajectory short. Having integrated GPS will help you pinpoint the location of your drone at any time.
This feature is usually found in high-end models. When you are flying a drone, you run the risk of crashing into various obstacles that are found throughout your path. If your budget allows it, it is preferable that you opt for a device that is equipped with the obstacle avoidance feature. Besides the fact that it shields the drone from damage, obstacle avoidance is ideal for beginners who don’t have a lot of experience with regards to proper navigation and control.
The range is the distance that the drone can fly. Models that can cover a long range tend to be significantly more expensive and are generally geared toward professional use. Some manufacturers have a made a habit out of exaggerating the range of their devices, so make sure to check some reviews to verify if everything checks out.
Best selfie drone reviews 2019
1 – DJI Spark
- Intelligent Flight ModesSmart, reliable, and incredibly intuitiveQuickShotVideos with a...
- High-Performance CameraAmazing images and stabilized videoMechanical Gimbal...
- Flight PerformanceAwesome potential, immersive experiencesPowerful Propulsion Speed and...
- Flight SafetyWorry-free flight in the palm of your hand ; Propeller guards are recommended...
Including this selfie drone in our list was a no-brainer. This unit comes with all the characteristics and features that are required for a wide range of uses and applications. It is remarkably small and can be launched from very small platforms with relative ease. Moreover, the DJI Spark drone can be controlled in a convenient manner via an app on your phone or through a remote controller.
As it is the case with any offering from the undisputed market leader, this drone boasts a number of advanced technologies that facilitate flight and control. It is equipped with a highly sophisticated face recognition system that is extremely effective as well as a gesture control that allows you to take your photos by simply gesturing to the drone. Despite its cutting-edge tech, the DJI spark is actually easy to use for a beginner and comes with no learning curve to speak of, that’s why it’s one of the best selfie drones.
- This mini drone with hd camera is one of the best in this price range
- Easy to use for beginners
- The gesture technology is quite practical
- It reaches a decent maximum speed of 31mph
- The convenient palm launch feature
- It is easy to control
- Flight time is on the low side considering the price point
- The DJI app is prone to crashing from time to time
2 – JJRC H37
- Smartphone WiFi Remote Control - You can control your drone with wifi connection to your...
- High Hold Mode: When you release the throttle stick after using it, the rc drone will...
- Headless Mode - When enters into headless mode, you don't need to worry about the...
- Equipped with 3 speed modes, low, medium and fast. This allows you to fly, for instance,...
If you are on a tight budget, this mini selfie drone option could be ideal for you. While the quality is far from professional grade, you can expect an adequate performance out of this competitively priced unit. In fact, the JJRC H37 possesses the majority of the features that are found in the more expensive E50 drone. The list is rather comprehensive for an entry-level unit and includes a headless mode, a G-sensor mode, and a one key return function among many other features. Additionally, the drone is very light, resulting in easier control and maneuverability.
When it comes to the quality of the photos, it is surprisingly great for such a cheap product. Furthermore, the drone has LED lights on both sides of the camera. This comes in really handy when you are trying to take a selfie in low-light conditions.
- This is one of the most affordable options on the market
- The drone is easy to control and maneuver
- It is equipped with a powerful LED light for low-light conditions
- The video quality is good for the price
- The flight time is above the average for entry-level units
- The drone doesn’t have GPS
- The JJRC H37 is not equipped with any optical sensors
3 – ZEROTECH DOBBY
- Pocket-size rechargeable drone with dual satellite positioning and high definition camera
- Traditional one-button take-off and landing as well as voice control, pat, or...
- Easily control with your phone’s swipe function or use phone as a motion controller
- Innovative camera offers facial recognition, digital 3-axis stabilizer, and ability to...
The Zerotech Dobby is the perfect mid-range option for anyone wanting a little more performance than what entry-level models offer. In this dobby drone review I also want to discuss that It uses an advanced dual satellite positioning system and comes with one of the best HD cameras on the market. Like the majority of premium drones, it has a gesture-based mechanism that enables you to control the unit through facial recognition. Moreover, the Zerotech Dobby makes use of your phone’s swipe function in order to provide you with real-time motion control.
As far as flight capabilities are concerned, this drone gets the full mark. The Dobby is remarkably adept at hovering in a steady fashion, which makes it ideal for use in a wide range of environments, both outdoor and indoor. It boasts a good range that exceeds 100 meters and has the capacity to deliver up to 10 minutes of continuous flight time. The image quality is simply immaculate and the camera comes with burst and timed modes.
- The camera comes with burst and timed modes
- The image quality is excellent
- The device is light and easy to maneuver
- It utilizes the phone’s swipe function for better control
- The range and flight time are great
- The setup instructions are not very clear
- The extra battery is quite expensive
4 – Holy Stone HS700
- 2K FHD 90°Adjustable Camera with 5G Transmission: The upgraded camera (2048*1152P) with...
- GPS Assisted Flight: With GPS location, the drone can hover stably and automatically...
- 22 Mins Max Flight Time: The High-capacity 2800mAh intelligent battery yields up to 22mins...
- Brushless Motor: It is so quiet but very powerful when running. Working life is much more...
This model is one of the best sellers on the market. This is hardly surprising since this drone is easily the best option in its price range. As the flagship model of the company, the HS700 boasts a plethora of features that are geared towards making flight and control as smooth and effortless as possible. On top of its quality performance, the drone is also well-designed and has a sleek look that its direct competition is lacking.
The Holy Stone HS700 is equipped with an advanced GPS location system that enables the device to hover stably. Furthermore, the drone returns to its launching point every time the battery dips below the minimum range or when the signal is lost. The flight performance of the HS700 is also excellent. You can expect around 20 minutes of continuous flight time and maneuverability is made easy thanks to the effective and practical controls.
- The brushless motor is quiet and powerful
- The flight time that is provided by the drone is outstanding
- The control is simple and fun
- It comes with GPS location
- It is equipped with an advanced 5G 1080P FHD camera
- Charging the battery takes a lot of time
- Some parts are made from cheap plastic
5 – FLYZOE
- Fpv camera and live video: equipped with HD cameras and smartphone remote control system....
- Altitude hold function: The RC drone can be automatically set the height and still hover...
- Stable flight: 2.4GHz and 6-axis gyroscope ensure the drone in balance mode and control...
- 360 degree flips and rolls: one key 3D rolling special effects. Flip in 4 ways flip (left,...
This pocket drone with camera is another affordable option for beginners and amateurs. This drone has a unique foldable design that makes it easy to store and carry around. Additionally, it is aesthetically pleasing and does not have the cheap look that you will notice in the majority of entry-level devices. It comes with a number of features that are typically found in mid-range drones, namely the automatic height adjustment and the advanced app that is used to control the unit.
The FLYZOE Pocket RC drone is capable of some amazing aerial maneuvers. It can perform 360-degree flips and rolls with ease and has the capacity to flip in 4 different ways; left, right, forward, and backward. As for the image quality, the 720p HD camera is more than enough for non-professional use.
- It has a built-in positioning system that facilitates flight and control
- It is capable of 3D flips and 360-degree rotations
- Flight is remarkably stable
- The compact design allows for easy storing and carrying
- The drone features automatic height adjustment
- The instructions are fairly ambiguous and difficult to follow
- Flight time is a little bit underwhelming
Finding the best selfie drone does not have to be a complicated task. The metrics and variables that you need to keep in mind are fairly simple and straightforward. Go over our reviews and check some user feedback if you want to ensure that you are making an informed purchase decision. At the end of the day, it is up to you to pick the device that suits your needs and budget.
Last update on 2019-11-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API