Last Updated on
Regardless of your age, there is no denying that operating drones can be a fun and rewarding experience. This is even more so the case these days thanks to a number of advanced flight and control technologies that are geared toward making everything easier for beginners and children. Furthermore, the price of entry-level drones has significantly gone down, which opened the market for a large segment of the population. In this article, we will review some of the best drone under 50 and we will help you pick the one that is perfectly suited for your needs.
Factors you should pay attention to when choosing the best drone under 50
Before deciding on which product to pick, the first thing that you should know is that sub $50 drones are specifically designed for two types of users; beginners who are looking for a cheap training tool, and children who can only operate simple and intuitive devices. With that being said, the factors that are involved in determining the quality of the drone are virtually the same across all price ranges. Below is a brief overview of some of them.
Whether the drone is for a child or a beginner, size is a crucial factor that should not be neglected. The device needs to be small enough so that it can be controlled with relative ease. Small drones are also much more convenient when it comes to storing them and carrying them around.
While high-end batteries are usually found in more expensive drones, you can still find decent options at the entry-level range. With a good battery, you can generally expect around 6 to 10 minutes of flight time and a little under an hour of charge time.
It goes without saying that you shouldn’t expect a lot of modes at this price point. However, if you are buying the drone for a child, you need to make sure that it at least has some basic functions that make control a little easier. The main ones to look out for are adjustable speed, headless mode, and altitude hold.
Every time you opt for a very cheap product, you run the risk of a getting a cheaply-made unit that doesn’t live up to your expectations. To avoid this, stick to established brands that have a proven track record with regard to high-quality products and great customer support
Children and beginners are likely to crash a drone more often than an experienced user. That is why you should always go with models that are not only made from premium materials but also feature additional safety measures such as propeller protection and fan grills.
A critical factor that you should be aware of before making a purchase is the availability of replacement parts. Regardless of how careful you are, you are going to need one somewhere down the line. Make sure that the brand you go with offers an abundance of spare parts at a reasonable rate.
The remote control
The remote control is another component that needs to be tailored for children. The remote should be light, compact, and it needs to have well-labeled buttons that are very responsive. Conversely, Bulky remotes with confusing controls add an unnecessary learning curve for beginners.
Frequently asked questions
1 – Can I trust the quality of these cheap drones?
A lot of people might be skeptical of the quality considering the low prices of these devices. In reality, there is no cause for concern since all the options that we picked were thoroughly tested. We can safely state that all of them have met our strict quality standards.
2 – Are these drones really children-friendly?
All the options that we picked are perfectly suited for young children. On top of boasting a sleek design that appeal to their preferences, these drones are simple to operate and pose no risk to them. Typically, their features consist of basic flight and control functions that are simple to pick up.
3 – Do I need prop guards?
Having prop guards is highly advisable for novice users. Some of the drones in this review already come with built-in ones. For the rest, consider investing in one if you want to shield your unit from damage. They are usually quite cheap the number of available options on the market is fairly high.
4 – What type of range can I expect at this price range?
Compared to high-end options, the drones that we reviewed are relatively underpowered and their range is comparatively more limited. Don’t expect to get anything farther than 100 meters from the starting point.
Best drone under 50 reviews
1 – Holy Stone HS170
- Headless security system enables players of any level to fly the drone easily
- 2. 4GHz technology adopted for anti-interference
- More stable and flexible with 6-axis gyro stabilization system
- Good PERFORMANCE of wind-resistant control range: About 30-50 meters
This model is one of the best selling drones in the sub $50 range. It is surprisingly well engineered for such an affordable option and it comes with several decent features that are geared toward making the flight as convenient and smooth as possible.
If you are a beginner, you will be glad to know that the HS170 is equipped with a high-end headless security system. This technology orients the device’s flight on the controller, which gives you more control over the flight of the drone. Moreover, the range in which it can operate is fairly decent for the price point and the flight time can exceed 8 minutes in conservative mode.
Some other interesting characteristics of the Holy Stone include the three different speed modes that allow you to customize the speed of the drone and the 6-axis gyro technology that facilitates flipping rolling. When it comes to quality to price ratio, this unit is truly hard to beat.
- Great value for the money
- Ideal for beginners
- It provides a decent flight time
- It is equipped with a 6-axis gyro technology
- The drone is easy to control
- It has three-speed modes
- The drone can’t handle wind
- The remote controller is poorly designed
2 – Potensic A20 RC Nano Quadcopter
- Having Fun for More Time : 2 detachable batteries and 3 adjustable speed levels deliver...
- Fast & Agile: You could control the drone fly toward any directions by Remote Controller....
- Easy to Fly: With Altitude Hold, Headless Mode and One Key Taking-off / Landing, you could...
- Portable: It’s the width of an iPhone 5”. Besides, it’s extremely lightweight and...
This is a perfect option for kids and novice users. The A20’s capabilities are tailored for users who simply want to have some fun without having to figure out complex features and functions. Moreover, its lightweight and compact dimensions make it easy to store and carry around.
As far as performance is concerned, this small unit does not disappoint. Unlike most entry-level options, the motor of the A20 is capable of delivering steady and smooth flights without emitting a lot of noise or overheating. As for control, it is made practical and simple thanks to two functions; the headless mode that orients the drone, and the altitude hold mode that allows you to maintain a steady height throughout the flight.
On top of the steady flight and easy control, this drone boasts a number of features that are designed to assist a beginner. The main ones that are the out of range alarms that let the user know when the flight range is exceeded and the low battery alarm that signals the depletion of charge.
- Comes with a number of kid-friendly features
- The drone is easy to store and carry
- It is equipped with an effective altitude hold mode
- It has an easy-to-use one button takeoff/landing
- The flight time is fairly low
- The frame of the drone does not feel durable enough
3 – DROCON Mini RC Drone
This drone boasts one of the most colorful and sleek designs on the market. Kids, in particular, will surely appreciate its original color patterns and high-tech remote control. More importantly, it is priced very competitively and it is the ideal introduction to drones for anyone who is not familiar with these devices.
As it is the case with all models in our list, the DROCON has all the baseline qualities that we deem necessary in any decent drone. Its speed is entirely customizable thanks to the 3-speed mode and controlling it is made enjoyable with the inclusion of several modes such as altitude, 3D flips, and headless modes.
The drone is capable of some impressive aerial feats that are quite easy to execute even by inexperienced users. The DROCON Mini RC also employs the simple and highly intuitive one key system that enables you to get the drone airborne and land it with a press of a button.
- The sleek and original design
- It offers adjustable speeds
- It has several modes that facilitate control
- The remote is well designed
- The motor is quiet and responsive
- The manual is not detailed enough
- The charge time is excessively long
4 – SNAPTAIN H823H Mini Drone
- 【Altitude Hold】The drone will hover at the certain height when you release the...
- 【3D Flips Stunt】The robust and fantastic 360°flips & rolls stunt reveals effortlessly...
- 【Headless Mode】You are the pilot of the drone in headless mode. Orients the drone from...
- 【One Key Return】The drone will instantly take off/land/return by a simple push of one...
The H823H is another model that is destined for beginners and children. Its frame has an eye-catching design and the remote greatly resembles a video game console controller. More notably, flying this unit is an absolute joy and its plethora of valuable functions makes it a worthy investment for anyone on a small budget.
The most remarkable aspect of the SNAPTAIN is without a doubt its wide range of maneuverability. In fact, this drone is capable of a number of moves that are exclusively seen in high-end models. These impressive flight capabilities are mostly owed to a combination of efficient engineering and several control modes that contribute to facilitating control.
Another thing that sets this drone apart from other similarly priced models is the inclusion of several safety features. This includes the propeller protection that protects the device from collusion, the LED lights that help users identify the direction, and the one key return function that automatically flies the drone back to the take-off point.
- It boasts an eye-catching design
- It has 3-speed levels
- The drone is equipped with propeller protection
- It comes with several safety mechanisms that protect the unit from damage
- The battery can be recharged with any USB charger
- The motor is relatively loud
- It is smaller even by mini drone standards
5 – Super Joy RC Drone Quadcopter
- 28 minutes Supreme long flight time drone for kids, teens & adults: this ideal beginner...
- Easy to fly beginner toy drone: headless security system and one key return function...
- 360° 3D flip: this cool stunt drone for beginners has amazing 3D flips, which make it a...
- Galaxy drone with bright LED light: fly these glowing quadcopter light up toys with bright...
Don’t let the simplistic design of the Super Joy RC drone fool you. This compact quadcopter is packed with a lot of great features that make it worthy of your consideration. It was conceived with the intention of providing beginners with a convenient training tool that can help them learn in a fast and enjoyable manner.
When discussing this drone, the first thing that should be mentioned is the flight time. At 28 minutes, it is by far the longest in the entry-level price range. This is made possible thanks to its powerful motor and 2000mAh battery. Furthermore, the charge time is very fast, so you won’t have to wait for hours before you can get the drone airborne.
Control wise, the Super Joy RC exceeds all expectations. The 6-axis gyro stabilization system coupled with the headless security feature results in stable flights that are easy to control.
- The range of this drone is decent for beginners
- The flight time is significantly longer than the competition’s
- Control is made easier with 6-axis gyro stabilization and headless security
- The battery charges quickly
- Spare parts are a little bit expensive
- The design is a little bit underwhelming
Don’t let the low price of these drones scare you off. Every item reviewed here would constitute a tremendous training tool for a complete beginner. The value for money that they offer is simply impressive and their simplicity completely removes the barriers to entry that are associated with operating advanced drones. Now that you are aware of all the moving parts of sub $50 drones, it is up to you to pick the one that you like the most.
Last update on 2019-11-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API